Sunday, August 23, 2009

Big Pre-K Man

Gavin started Pre-K on Thursday. (It differs from regular preschool because it is half a day every day, to prep for the all-day Kindergarten here.) Gavin wanted to wear the new shirt his Grammy had sent him, and his brand new shoes. He has been walking to school with me to take and pick up Lexie all week, and was very excited when it was finally his turn to go.

That is...excited until we got to his classroom. Then he was all sorts of nervous! He is usually my one to just jump in and go, but it probably is intimidating to go to the "big school," with all the "big kids." This is his classroom, with fun center activities. There were many activities the kids had to wait to do, so Gavin was a bit unsure because he could not just go play. But by the end of the day he was right at home and knew how everything worked. His teacher told me that he remembered all the things they were doing, learning, and their schedule, etc. She also said he knew so much he could teach the class!
I know Gavin will have a great year. (The Pre-K program is fabulous! He has the same teachers Lexie did two years ago.) It only took him a bit to adjust, and now he is all for school.After school, I got the kids some inexpensive craft projects at the craft store. Gavin picked a 3-D dinosaur puzzle, which looked pretty complicated. When we got home, he kept asking when we could assemble it. I was trying to make dinner, so he went upstairs and put it together himself! I was very proud of him. He said, "I just looked at the picture and made it like it showed." Awesome job, bud! (You also may notice the bandage on Gavin's knee...he turfed it on the playground and had his first trip to the school nurse to fix it up on his first day!)

We are off to a great school year. This first week has helped us get back into a nice routine, (which I am quite enjoying.) And the kids have settled into their classes and are not nervous anymore. (I don't blame them a bit, I still remember having nightmares about starting school. I still do, even though I have been graduated for 7 years!) Here we go for one more year in Omaha, I am excited to have a great one.

4 comments:

Nate and Annie said...

Yeah for school! I'm sure Gavin and Lexie will have an awesome year! (And I LOVE the pictures of Cole feeding himself!)

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

our kids are growing up too fast! are you enjoying your time with nicholas? melissa

Shauna said...

How fun! Ben keeps asking when he gets to start school. Your "baby" Looks so grown-up!