Sunday, November 9, 2008

Good Tithings

So I didn't take any pictures this week, but my kids say the funniest things and I thought I would post a couple. (Maybe they're just funny to me...)
Our home teachers were coming over this afternoon and we told Lexie and Gavin that they needed to sit and listen while the home teachers visited us. Gavin had decided that he wanted to play outside, and so in an attempt to sway us he said, "But we'll be boring!" I'm sure that while he meant "bored," his trying to understand how words work made us laugh and say, "Okay, that would be great! Be nice and boring while they are here!"
Lexie woke up at 6:30 this morning, an hour earlier than usual. I guess she heard me downstairs in the kitchen or something, but she came down and was looking at some papers while I baked cookies for Primary. She asked what the papers were and I told her they were tithing settlement statements, to tell us how much tithing we paid. She soon figured out that there was a page for each person, and her name was on one. "What does mine say, Mom?" "Oh, it just says you don't have any tithing this year," I responded. At first she was mad that it didn't have anything on there.
L: "I want to pay tithing!"
M: "Well, that's good, but you only pay tithing when you make money. You haven't made any money this year."
L: "I want money! Why doesn't somebody give me some money?!" (Outrage prevalent in her voice.)
M: I want somebody to give me money too!
L: It's not fair!
While I purposely kept my mouth shut to let her think about it, I heard her say, "I don't want to pay tithing, I want to keep it all to myself!" (Yeah, you think we are bad parents now, huh?)
The tithing thing was on her mind all morning, and she talked to Danny about it too, and how the bishop was going to take her money away from her. Both Danny and I told her that you only give tithing if you want to, and all of the things it goes to pay for, that Heavenly Father gives us so much that we only give a small bit back, and that we are blessed for paying tithing... She still wanted money and wanted it all to herself.
Well, today was the Primary Program. And while she did not give her part on tithing, she was fine during the program. During Primary we learned, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," to sing at the ribbon cutting of a gingerbread creations display later this month. Tonight Lexie was singing: "Good tithings we bring, to you and your kid." So "good tithings" came after all that reluctance about tithing!

1 comments:

Nate and Annie said...

Nope, it's not just you; they made me laugh too! They're so cute.