Friday, April 24, 2009

Earth Day Green Goodness

What a better way to remember Earth Day on Wednesday than to see blossoms and green grass, and of course, tulips! My tulips look so nice this spring, I had to snap some photos. I haven't been "reducing my impact" much before now , so I decided to turn over a new leaf and begin with a couple of small steps to helping make the earth cleaner. Our townhouse community installed a recycling bin, and it has been surprisingly simple to recycle. In fact, I would say at least half or more than half of our waste is recyclable! Wow, what a waste I have been throwing away so many things. It has not taken much more effort, it is convenient to have a bin close to put it in.

I also feel bad that when I come home from a trip to the grocery store I have so many plastic bags. So I bought these super cute ones at Toys R Us because I loved the pattern. I figure if I try to use these, even though it doesn't carry all my groceries, I am at least making an effort to reduce plastic bag waste. My mom also sent the kids these T-shirts last year for Earth Day. Lexie's says "Flower Power" with a recycling logo.
And Gavin's T-shirt from my mom...we're not a granola family, by any means, but I am just trying to do a few things to reduce waste! I had to get a picture of Gavin in front of the blossoming ornamental pear tree in front of our house. (You can't see the blossoms that great, oh well.)
And Earth Day was an incredibly warm and beautiful day, 84 degrees! So the kids could finally get on their swim suits and have a neighborhood water party! They had tons of fun playing in the water and running around with their friends, and it felt so nice to be out enjoying the day.

2 comments:

Cher said...

Wow! Kids pools out already! Fun. Cecily has been begging and begging to wear her swimsuit and run through the sprinklers - not warm enough just yet. Soon though.
P.S. Your tulips are beautiful. The deer eat ours around here so I have to stick to daffodils which they will not eat. But, I have planted a lot of different varieties of daffodils. I do miss my tulips though.

Nate and Annie said...

Yeah! I'm glad to see you had a great earth day and are making some little changes...that's all it takes. Swimming, how fun!