I used to visit teach a dear friend named Sherrie, who is actually as old as my mom, but we have such a delightful bond. She is a wonderful person and we have so much in common. Sherrie gave me a very wise insight about Mother's Day. She had noted that she had four sons, an energetic and happy bunch, yet they were clueless when it came to remembering their mother or doing something heartfelt and thoughtful. (She had boys, you all with boys know how that is.) She said that for many years she felt bad that all the mothers with girls received such a wonderful Mother's Day filled with sweet handmade gifts and thoughtful acts of service and gratitude, and never felt quite appreciated enough. One year, she decided to change her perspective. She decided that Mother's Day wasn't about how much she should be pampered, but about how great a mother she should be. She said that has made all the difference in the world. That wonderful spark of insight has given me new wings as a mother for the last few years, and I definitely needed it this year.


We had a fun little gathering, here are all the moms. (Front: Laurel and Bonnie R., Back: Missy, Aly, Mindy, and me.) I will have another post paying tribute to all my friends who have moved this last week.
I often get so caught up in the constant list of tasks to do in order to care for my children and the house and everything else on my plate. I don't mean to get after the kids when they do something wrong or get frustrated with them. (Church on Mother's Day was particularly difficult with my sick 10 month old kept awake during naptime as I was trying to set up Primary and then sit through a lesson...lesson learned: never forget to bring the binky to church!) But all in all, I am grateful for the life's work that being a mother entails. Children are truly the life and energy that keep the world growing and progressing. And the job of a mother is sometimes taken for granted, so I want to tell my mom and all the moms in my life a big thank you. Thank you for always being there offering love, support, guidance, and help whenever needed, even if I acted like I didn't want it. I am so glad to have these three beautiful and intelligent little beings to mother and nurture and I hope they will bear with me as I develop these attributes of patience and compassion (and so many more) along the way.

Here are my little rays of sunshine blessing me on Mother's Day this year.



0 comments:
Post a Comment