Saturday, September 19, 2009

Applejack Festival

I rounded up the troops and we went to the Applejack Festival in Nebraska City while my parents were in town. I have wanted to go to this event since we landed in Omaha, and I am glad we were at least able to make it for the last fall season here! Nebraska City is a fun little place south of Omaha on the Missouri River. (Also home of Arbor Day.) The city has a lot of charm and the fall atmosphere was so fun. We began the day by seeing the city's Applejack Parade and Band Competition. I was the one who wanted to go to the parade the most. I guess I missed not having an Independence Day parade this summer.
Cole has the best view up here. Funny thing about this picture...about a minute later, Cole threw up his baby food lunch he had just eaten all over Danny's head and shoulder. Eww!
Besides Cole's incident, the food was great! (I don't know if it was up to Berhold standard, but the atmosphere always plays into the food effect for me.) We had some good old barbeque brisket sandwiches with homemade bbq sauce while we waited for the parade. Then we visited Kimmel Orchard and sampled some tasty apple donuts, caramel apples, and apple pie. Mmm.
Kimmel Orchard also had several activities for the kids. Here we are with Grandma watching the real blacksmith making horseshoes. We are so glad my parents could come along to the festival and enjoy some of the fun things there are to do in Omaha.
Lexie and Gavin loved the bounce toys...
...and Cole loved trying to escape. All he wanted to do was explore this new place and exercise those little legs of his! The train ride was made up of barrels on wheels behind a tractor. So cute!
We ventured further up the road to Pumpkin Ridge Farm, where they had a 100+ vendor craft show and a really cute petting zoo and pony rides.
The kids had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa feeding the animals.
And we finished the day with pony rides and a trip back into Omaha for dinner. I'm glad my parents were here, it was fun to spend time with them. And welcome fall!

1 comments:

Shauna said...

We miss your family! You look fabulous:)