Monday, February 16, 2009

Cupid's Arrows of Love


This year we had a Valentine's craft party for Lexie's kindergartener friends, (and Gavin and his friend Ben tagged along too!) Lexie has been asking to have a craft party and has been busy drawing up plans of what we should do and who we should invite...hmm. I wonder who that sounds like?! It turned out really fun. I found some great ideas from familyfun.com, and did the "Cupid Tree Scavenger Hunt." Each child had a clue from Cupid on their tree when they arrived, and they had to go find the craft project supplies, bring them back and put it together or draw something, and then hang it on their trees. I made sure there were 8 items so each child had one to read, but I would trim it down because the kids got really involved making their little ornaments and it went way longer than I thought! Oh well, it was fun. We also made the "Cupid's Heart-y Cupcakes" which is to put a little marble or ball of foil in the muffin tin so the cupcake is indented like a heart. They turned out really cute. Lexie and Gavin were very excited to help make the cupcakes and make party decorations. They even helped me gather the tree branches.

Nicholas had a lot of fun watching what was going on and listening to us singing silly "lovey" songs.

With 8 kids and lots of little craft project items, I had my hands full and forgot to snap some photos during the party!!!So here's the aftermath, there were 8 little trees there before!I think the kids had fun doing these Valentine's Day activities. I guess we got so busy with this little craft party, that I didn't get my own Valentines out this year! Sorry to my family, but we love you even if you didn't get a card! Danny and I had a great Valentine's Day date. We went to a fun little restaurant called "Mia's Bongo Room" that had quite an eclectic, healthy menu and some interesting vegetables. Then we went ice skating! We honestly haven't done that for 8 years, and I really enjoyed it! We have started getting a babysitter a couple times a month, and I love going on dates again!
The kids say the funniest things, and so I just thought I'd add their heartfelt Valentine's sayings onto this post. Gavin loves to come up to me and give me "4 Hugs" from the song we sing at our Cherubs music class called "4 Hugs a Day." He says, "I lub you, Mom!" He also goes around singing "Skidamarink a dink a dink, skidamarink a doo, I lub you!" from another song we learned this month. He comes up to me several times a day and just gives me a hug and a kiss because he wants to. I am sure that won't happen in a few years, so I am glad to have a snuggle now.
Lexie was riding in the backseat with her friend Annie and they were talking. Lexie said, "L-O-V-E spells love." But she said it super fast, so Annie heard, "L-V-E." Not to leave Lexie in the wrong, Annie kept insisting Lexie spell it correctly. Lexie got right in her face with a huge smile and repeated, "I'm in your bubble! I'm in your bubble!" with a giddy, giggly laugh. Finally Annie just gave up. (Really, kids are so funny, I like to just listen to how they interact. That's why I'm writing this down, so we remember!)
My last little "kid-ism" was about Lexie, but she didn't say it. I just thought it was so funny, and very lovey, Valentine's Day related. My friend Teri told me that her son Cannon (who says Lexie is his girlfriend,) came up to her and said, "Mom, I'm going to marry Lexie."
Teri: "Does Lexie know that?"
Cannon: "Does she have to know?"
Teri: (laughing) "You should probably ask her if you want her to marry you."
Cannon: "Mom, can't you just ask Bonnie if she will?"
Funny stuff! We hope you had a lovey Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Shauna said...

My boys had a great time! Our kids and the plans they make for us:) Thansk again for putting it together and I really hope Gavin's toes feels better quick!

Nate and Annie said...

It looks like they had so much fun! I love that picture of Cole and his cute little smile-Precious! And those kidisms always make me laugh, so keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! I think this crafty stuff goes back a couple of generations! We'll have to do some beading with Lexie when you come. You're a good mom to do that with your children.